Frequently Asked Questions
Whether you are wondering about emergency roadside service and towing services or are looking for more details about your AARP Roadside Assistance membership, you’ve come to the right place.
Below are answers to a number of frequently asked questions. If you see a topic you’re interested in, just click on the subject heading.
If you still have questions or wish to receive more details about AARP Roadside Assistance, please contact us.
- What are the eligibility requirements for membership in AARP Roadside Assistance?
- How soon can I begin using my membership benefits after I sign up?
- What geographic areas does AARP Roadside Assistance cover?
- What does emergency roadside service cover?
- How do I obtain emergency roadside service?
- Who are your towers or service providers?
- Where can I send correspondence?
- How can I save on travel?
- How can I save on car rentals?
- What is AARP Roadside Assistance Dispatch Guarantee?
- How do Reimbursable Services work?
- What is my towing coverage?
- How do I submit a claim for reimbursement?
- What is my claims limit per membership year?
- How does Vehicle Repair Referral work?
- What types of repairs and services are covered under Warranty Repair Service?
- What is Pathfinder Trip Routing?
- How does the Guaranteed Arrest Bond work?
- How do I use the Hospital Emergency Room Bond?
- How does the Auto Theft Deterrent Reward work?
- How does Legal Defense Reimbursement work?
- How does the Trip Interruption Guarantee work?
What are the eligibility requirements for membership in AARP Roadside Assistance?You must be a current AARP® member to become a member of AARP Roadside Assistance. Not an AARP Member? Visit www.AARP.org. You may also extend your AARP Roadside Assistance coverage to include other members of your household, even if they are not AARP members.
How soon can I begin using my membership benefits after I sign up?When you enroll online, you may start using your benefits immediately. You will receive an e-mail containing your permanent membership number. Your membership materials, including your membership card, will arrive within 14 business days after your application is processed.
If you need emergency roadside service before you receive your membership materials, you must pay for the services upfront, and then be reimbursed later, within the limits of your Plan.
What geographic areas does AARP Roadside Assistance cover?AARP Roadside Assistance provides emergency roadside service and towing throughout the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada. Reimbursement options for emergency roadside service are available to residents outside the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.
AARP Roadside Assistance cannot accept online enrollments from residents outside the United States at this time. If you live outside the United States, please e-mail us or call 1-800-555-1121 for more information.
- Battery boost/jump start a dead car battery
- Flat tire change
- Fuel delivery
- Lockout service
- Stolen or lost ignition car key replacement
See detailed descriptions of AARP Roadside Assistance benefits.
How do I obtain emergency roadside service?
Please follow the simple steps listed below:
- Call 1-800-555-1121.
- Provide the emergency roadside service customer service representative with the following:
- Your AARP Roadside Assistance membership number
- Membership verification (your name and address)
- Location of the disabled vehicle (town, state, and street address or closest intersection)
- Description of the disabled vehicle (year, make, model, color)
- License plate number and state
- Type of service needed (tow, flat tire change, jump start, etc.)
- The customer service representative will keep you on the line while contacting a participating service provider.
- The customer service representative will then provide the service provider's name and the estimated time when you can expect help to arrive.
- For your protection, be with your car when the service provider arrives. We cannot provide service for unattended vehicles. Please remain with the car unless it is unsafe to do so.
- Present the service provider with your AARP Roadside Assistance membership card and driver's license.
Correspondence can be mailed to:
ORAARP Roadside Assistance
P.O. Box 4426
Carol Stream, IL 60196-4426
Send correspondence via e-mail.
How can I save on travel?The AARP Passport program entitles all AARP members to substantial savings on travel in the United States and abroad. The AARP Passport program includes discounts on car rentals, sightseeing, hotels, motels and more. Visit www.AARP.org to learn more about the benefits of the AARP Passport program and other AARP membership offers.
To become a member of AARP, visit www.AARP.org.
If you’re looking for information on specific travel destinations, the AARP Member Benefits Guide lists participating firms, as well as information on how to get the most from your AARP discounts. Remember to always carry your AARP membership card when you travel—it entitles you to discounts wherever you go.
Members of AARP can order a free copy of the AARP Member Benefits Guide by calling toll free: 1-888-687-2277 or by writing to:
AARP Member Benefits Guide
601 E Street N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20004
How can I save on car rentals?The AARP Passport program entitles all AARP members to substantial savings on car rentals in the United States and abroad.
Just call any of these car rental companies and provide the appropriate ID numbers, as well as your AARP membership number, for reservations in the United States and Canada.
|AARP Passport Program||Discount ID Number||Toll-Free Telephone Reservations|
Visit www.AARP.org and learn more about the benefits of the AARP Passport program.
What is AARP Roadside Assistance Dispatch Guarantee?We take our commitment to you and your motoring needs very seriously. If, for some reason, we are unable to provide emergency roadside service when you call the toll-free number for service, you are still covered. We will provide an authorization number and reimburse you up to the maximum allowable limit for your Plan for covered services you locate yourself.
How do Reimbursable Services work?Under most conditions, our service is extremely prompt. However, when weather or road conditions are extremely bad, or if we do not have a participating service provider in your area, we ask for your patience and understanding. If we cannot provide service through our 24-hour toll-free AARP Roadside Assistance phone number, we may authorize you to obtain service on your own.
In that event:
- An authorization number will be provided.
- Call any service facility.
- After service is completed, pay for the service and obtain a receipt from the service provider. The receipt should include the service provider's name, address, telephone number, date and type of service rendered.
- Write your name, address, AARP Roadside Assistance membership number and authorization number on the receipt.
- Mail the original receipt to the address below within 60 days of the incident*. Claims submitted without the original receipt or with incomplete information will be returned for resubmission. Please keep a copy for your records, as we cannot return your original receipt due to auditing requirements.
We will reimburse you up to the maximum allowable limit for your Plan for covered roadside emergency services you locate yourself.
*No time restriction applies to residents of UT and WI.
Reimbursement for Lost Ignition Car Key and Other Locksmith Services.If you need locksmith services because your ignition key is accidentally locked inside your car or your vehicle lock needs replacement, we will reimburse you up to the maximum allowable limit for your Plan. And, if you have a broken, stolen or lost ignition car key, you will be reimbursed up to $25 for key replacement.
To request reimbursement, send the original paid receipt with your name, address, phone number, AARP Roadside Assistance membership number and authorization number to AARP Roadside Assistance, P.O. Box 4440, Carol Stream, IL 60197-4440.
Reimbursement of Accident Road Service/Cleanup.Road service and towing costs resulting from an accident are normally recovered through your insurance company. You submit the expense of emergency roadside service, towing, cleanup, etc., as part of your damage claim to your insurance company. If the insurance company refuses to pay the emergency roadside service portion of the claim, submit the refusal and the original paid receipt with your name, address, phone number and AARP Roadside Assistance membership number to AARP Roadside Assistance, P.O. Box 4440, Carol Stream, IL 60197-4440. You will be reimbursed up to the maximum allowable limit for your Plan for accident-related road services.
- To the service provider's repair facility at no additional charge.
- To any destination you select within the maximum allowable mileage limit of your Plan.
- To a destination other than the service provider's facility more than the maximum allowable mileage limit of your Plan. Special contract rates are available for distances beyond the maximum mileage limit. Charges for additional mileage must be paid for at the time services are rendered and are not reimbursable.
How do I submit a claim for reimbursement?Please submit all claims for reimbursement within 60 days* to AARP Roadside Assistance, P.O. Box 4440, Carol Stream, IL 60197-4440. AARP Roadside Assistance reserves the right to adjust or deny a claim when the:
- Amount paid has exceeded the maximum limit.
- Service rendered is not during the term of membership or is not included under AARP Roadside Assistance.
- Claim cannot be verified through reasonable efforts.
*No time restriction applies for residents of UT and WI.
What IS my claims limit per membership year?The maximum number of emergency roadside service claims allowed per membership year depends on your Plan and the household members you’ve chosen to cover. Please refer to Benefits for details.
Emergency roadside service includes towing, winching, jump start, flat tire change, fuel delivery, lockout and replacing a lost car key. AARP Roadside Assistance will notify you if you reach your limit.
If more than the maximum allowable limit of emergency roadside service claims are needed during a membership year, AARP Roadside Assistance will continue to arrange service for your disabled vehicle, but you must pay for the service at the time it is rendered. These payments are not reimbursable.
Upon renewal of your AARP Roadside Assistance enrollment each year, your number of service claims will be reset to zero.
How does VEHICLE Repair Referral work?If your car needs repairs, call us at 1-800-555-1121 for the names, addresses, phone numbers and hours of operation of participating auto repair facilities near you. Most of these facilities have Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certification and provide a warranty on their repairs. Vehicle Repair Referral is available for all the types of repairs included in our Warranty Repair Service program.
Vehicle Repair Referral is not included in all Plans. Please refer to Benefits for details.
What types of repairs and services are covered under Warranty Repair Service?If your vehicle was repaired at a recommended participating repair facility and the same repair is required within 12 months or 12,000 miles (whichever occurs first) due to defective parts or workmanship, you can have it repaired again at another authorized repair facility at our expense. We'll cover the costs, parts and labor, up to the cost of the original repair. You must be 50 miles or more from the original repair facility. If you're within 50 miles of the original repair facility, check with them for the terms of the applicable warranty.
The following types of repairs and services are covered:
- oil and lubricating minor services
- tire repairs
- front-end suspension
- alignment services
- engine tune-up services
- brake service
- heating and air conditioning systems
- electrical system services
- cooling system
This coverage applies to vehicles used only for ordinary, non-commercial use. The vehicle must have received reasonable and necessary maintenance during the coverage period (12 months or 12,000 miles after the original repair, whichever occurs first). Coverage does not apply in cases of deliberate abuse, accident or alteration. Total liability under this program will not exceed the amount paid for the original repair(s). Coverage does not extend to incidental or consequential loss of any kind. To determine whether your repair is covered, call 1-800-555-1121 before work begins.
The following repairs and services are not covered:
- drive axle/differential assembly
- auto body
- molding repair
- any repairs involving replacement or removal of internally lubricated parts
- clutch replacement
- other major repairs
Warranty Repair Service is not included in all Plans. Warranty Repair Service is not available to residents of CA. Please refer to Benefits for details.
What is Pathfinder?® Trip Routing?Pathfinder Trip Routing gets you where you want to go with detailed maps, mileage and driving times. Pathfinder personal travel plans include customized maps highlighting your choice of the most direct or scenic route, places of interest, travel information telephone numbers and much more. Learn more about Pathfinder Trip Routing and let your journey begin.
Pathfinder Trip Routing is not included in all Plans. Please refer to Benefits for details.
How does the Guaranteed Arrest Bond work?Your membership card can prevent you from handing over your drivers license or making a payment for a traffic violation. Just use your membership card in place of cash or credit card to post bond up to $1,000 if you're charged with a traffic violation while driving. Please note that the arrest bond does have some restrictions in some states. You can refer to the Membership Handbook for details on any state limitations.
How do I use the Hospital Emergency Room Bond?The Hospital Emergency Room Bond card from AARP Roadside Assistance ensures you’ll never go without emergency care. If you are injured more than 100 miles from home and are required to provide evidence of financial security for services in a hospital emergency room, just present your Hospital Emergency Room Bond card, which is included with your membership materials. It guarantees your payment of up to $1,000 ($250 for CA members). When the hospital accepts your Hospital Emergency Room Bond card, you will be billed by the hospital. If you fail to pay the hospital within 60 days, the hospital will submit your bond card and a copy of the bill for payment to AARP Roadside Assistance. We will return your bond card as soon as you repay us. AARP Roadside Assistance will take legal action to recover any unpaid amounts. Not accepted in KS, LA, TX and WA, but may be used when traveling in other states. Limited to auto accident-related injuries in FL.
Hospital Emergency Room Bond is not included in all Plans. Please refer to Benefits for details.
How does the Auto Theft Deterrent Reward work?To help discourage thieves, AARP Roadside Assistance will pay rewards totaling up to $10,000 for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of anyone stealing a member's car. AARP Roadside Assistance members and their families, and law enforcement officials and their families cannot claim the reward.
Auto Theft Deterrent Reward is not included in all Plans. Please refer to Benefits for details.
How does Legal Defense Reimbursement work?If you are charged with a traffic offense and wish to defend the charge in court, you will be reimbursed for legal fees up to $1,000 based on the following schedule:
|Violation of Other Vehicle Laws||$75||$75|
Reimbursement is based on the traffic offense (trial and appeal) that allows you the maximum amount. If you are charged with more than one traffic offense as the result of any one incident, you'll be reimbursed for only one of the offenses.
- Pay the lawyer who defends you.
- Obtain an itemized bill on your lawyer's stationery showing the nature of the charges against you.
- Write your AARP Roadside Assistance membership number on the bill.
- Send the lawyer's original bill, copy of the arrest citation, and the dates and location of court action within 60 days* after the trial and/or appeal to AARP Roadside Assistance.
Send to the following address:
Legal Defense Reimbursement is not included in all Plans. Legal Defense Reimbursement is not available to residents of CA. Please refer to Benefits for details.AARP Roadside Assistance
P.O. Box 4440
Carol Stream, IL 60197-4440
*No time restriction applies to residents of UT and WI.
- Lodging incurred within 48 hours after the incident at the location where your car is being repaired.
- Car rental or commercial transportation to your home or destination incurred within 48 hours after the incident.
- Ambulance charges.
- File an accident report with the local or state police, if applicable.
- Send the accident report and the original itemized bill(s) with your name, address, phone number and AARP Roadside Assistance membership number within 60 days* after the incident to:
Trip Interruption Guarantee is not included in all Plans. Trip Interruption Guarantee is not available to TX residents. Please refer to Benefits for details.AARP Roadside Assistance
P.O. Box 4440
Carol Stream, IL 60197-4440
*No time restriction applies to residents of UT and WI.